When it comes to Search Engine Optimisation, our friends at the Digital Marketing Institute define it as “the process of affecting the visibility of a website or webpage through natural or organic search results.
There are typically two sides to SEO – the On Page Optimisation (such as making sure that images are tagged properly and keywords used correctly) – then there’s the Off Page Optimisation which PRs can play a huge impact in driving. The tech-set call this second part ‘Link Building’ and it’s pretty much second nature to any PR who values quality online coverage.
Why? Because PRs have known for years that bloggers are influential for brands and have been pitching stories to our online pals for years. But what we perhaps didn’t realise was that by taking the time to identify the right bloggers for SEO campaigns we could drastically improve website traffic and in turn positively impact search.
Below are our top 5 tips on working with bloggers to support SEO and how to get the most from your campaign.
1. Look beyond reach. It’s important to look at the environment and influence that a blog will have in driving the right traffic to your campaign. To identify a blogs influence or ‘Domain Authority’ we tools like MozRank and MozTrust
2. Identify PR Value. We also refer to blogs Page Rank to see the PR Value that Google attaches to their blog. There are lots of free tools you can use can do this online, such as CheckerPagerRank.
3. Provide Tagged Links for Paid Blogger Outreach. If you’re collaboration is paid then you may want to consider providing your bloggers them with a Tagged Link so you can track how many people they are driving to your site/event/promotion. We use Bitly to keep an eye on reach and ROI https://bitly.com/
4. Extend Your Brand Reach. If it’s a paid blogger collaboration ask what other opportunities there may be to amplify your campaign, such as offering samples of a new launch to their email list in return for site reviews or an exclusive give way for their Instagram followers?
5. Finally, don’t underestimate the big guys. Sites like Vogue, Glamour and The Guardian still massively outperform even some of the biggest bloggers in terms of PR Value so may still your best bet for juicy exclusives.
Link building for SEO is an important part of any communications strategy and, if executed properly, can positively impact how your website is ranked by Google on the web, your brand visibility and ultimately sales.